100g Pitted Medjool Dates
100g Ground Almonds
Zest of 1 Orange
Juice of 1/2 Orange
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
5 Sheets Filo Pastry
Caster Sugar and Cinnamon for Garnish (Optional)
1. Pre heat the oven at 170°C.
2. In a food processor, blend the dates with the almonds, orange juice, zest and cinnamon and divide the mix into 10 parts.
3. Cut the filo sheets into 20 squares measuring 12cm x 12 cm.
4. Brush half of the squares with melted butter and sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon and sugar. Top each with a plain square at an angle to make a star shape.
5. Brush each star with melted butter and sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon and sugar.
6. Add filling to the centre of each star and bring the pastry upwards to wrap.
7. Line a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
8. Serve with fresh figs and pomegranate seeds.