Basil Pesto, Asparagus and Broad Bean Pasta
For the pesto:
50g Basil Leaves
1 Garlic Clove
100ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
50g Nutritional Yeast
15g Pine Nuts
For the pasta:
200g Broad Beans
1. Pesto can be done in different ways. The best way is to make a garlic paste using a pestle and mortar and then mix in the basil leaves. Paste well until nice and smooth and add the pine nuts and continue to paste.
2. Add the yeast, salt and oil and once the pesto is creamy and grainy it is ready.
3. If you don't have a pestle and mortar, you can use a food processor and blend all of the pesto ingredients along with one ice cube to preserve the green colour of the basil.
4. Trim, slice and cook the asparagus and the broad beans in salty boiling water for 3 minutes and mix with the pesto.
5. Cook the pasta in the same water you cooked the asparagus and the broad beans, drain and mix with the pesto. Add a ladle of cooking water if too dry.